ESSENTIALS OF EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE - AssignmentCritiquing the validity and robustness of research featured in journal articles provides a critical foundation for engaging in evidence-based practice. In Weeks 5 and 6, you explored quantitative research designs. In Week 7, you will examine qualitative and mixed methods research designs. For this Assignment, which is due by Day 7 of Week 7, you critique a quantitative and either a qualitative or a mixed methods research study and compare the types of information obtained in each. To prepare: Select a health topic of interest to you that is relevant to your current area of practice. The topic may be your Course Portfolio Project or a different topic of your choice. Using the Walden Library, locate two articles in scholarly journals that deal with your portfolio topic: 1) Select one article that utilizes a quantitative research design and 2) select a second article that utilizes either a qualitative OR a mixed methods design. These need to be single studies not systematic or integrative reviews (including meta-analysis and metasynthesis). You may use research articles from your reference list. If you cannot find these two types of research on your portfolio topic, you may choose another topic. Locate the following documents in this week’s Learning Resources to access the appropriate templates, which will guide your critique of each article: Critique Template for a Qualitative Study Critique Template for a Quantitative Study Critique Template for a Mixed-Methods Study Consider the fields in the templates as you review the information in each article. Begin to draft a paper in which you analyze the two research approaches as indicated below. Reflect on the overall value of both quantitative and qualitative research. If someone were to say to you, “Qualitative research is not real science,” how would you respond? To complete this Assignment: Complete the two critiques using the appropriate templates. Write a 2- to 3-page paper that addresses the following: Contrast the types of information that you gained from examining the two different research approaches in the articles that you selected. Describe the general advantages and disadvantages of the two research approaches featured in the articles. Use examples from the articles for support. Formulate a response to the claim that qualitative research is not real science. Highlight the general insights that both quantitative and qualitative studies can provide to researchers. Support your response with references to the Learning Resources and other credible sources. As you complete this Assignment, remember to: Submit your paper to Grammarly and SafeAssign through the Walden Writing Center. Based on the Grammarly and SafeAssign reports, revise your paper as necessary. Reminder: The School of Nursing requires that all papers submitted include a title page, introduction, summary, and references. The School of Nursing Sample Paper provided at the Walden Writing Center provides an example of those required elements (available from the Walden University website found in this week’s Learning Resources). All papers submitted must use this formatting. Combine all three parts of this assignment into one Word document including both critique templates and the narrative with your references. Submit this combined document. Required Readings Polit, D. F., & Beck, C. T. (2017). Nursing research: Generating and assessing evidence for nursing practice (10th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer. Chapter 10, “Rigor and Validity in Quantitative Research” This chapter introduces the concept of validity in research and describes the different types of validity that must be addressed. Key threats to validity are also explored. Chapter 11, “Specific Types of Quantitative Research” This chapter focuses on the specific types of quantitative research that can be selected. The focus is on the purpose of the research rather than the research design. These include such approaches as clinical trials, evaluation research, health services and outcomes research, needs assessments, or replication studies. Cantrell, M. A. (2011). Demystifying the research process: Understanding a descriptive comparative research design. Pediatric Nursing, 37(4), 188–189. Retrieved from the Walden Library databases. The author of this article discusses the primary aspects of a prominent quantitative research design. The article examines the advantages and disadvantages of the design. Schultz, L. E., Rivers, K. O., & Ratusnik, D. L. (2008). The role of external validity in evidence-based practice for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation Psychology, 53(3), 294–302. Retrieved from the Walden Library databases. This article details the results of a study that sought to balance concern for rigor with concern for relevance. The authors of the article derive and determine a rating format for relevance and apply it to cognitive rehabilitation. Note: For the Discussion this week, you will need to read the method section of one of the following quasi-experimental studies. Refer to the details provided in the Week 6 Discussion area. Metheny, N. A., Davis-Jackson, J., & Stewart, B. J. (2010). Effectiveness of an aspiration risk-reduction protocol. Nursing Research, 59(1), 18–25. Retrieved from the Walden Library databases. Padula, C. A., Hughes, C., & Baumhover, L. (2009). Impact of a nurse-driven mobility protocol on functional decline in hospitalized older adults. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 24(4), 325–331. Retrieved from the Walden Library databases. Yuan, S.-C., Chou, M.-C., Hwu, L.-J., Chang, Y.-O., Hsu, W.-H., & Kuo, H.-W. (2009). An intervention program to promote health-related physical fitness in nurses. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 18(10), 1,404–1,411. Retrieved from the Walden Library databases. Walden University. (n.d.a.). Paper templates. Retrieved July 23, 2012, from http://writingcenter.waldenu.edu/57.htm This resource provides you access to the School of Nursing Sample Paper, which will serve as a template for formatting your papers.
ESSENTIALS OF EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE - Assignment is rated 4.8/5 based on 517 customer reviews.
Are you in need of homework help?
Place your order and get 100% original work.
- »Assignment CLC - Health Issue Analysis
- »It is important for a public health professional to show evidence of professional development over time. The professional portfolio is one way to collect and showcase achievements and artifacts or evidence of accomplishments. For this assignment, you wil
- »Determine ethical theories and decision-making models appropriate for healthcare providers to use for providing a safe, quality healthcare experience for the patient
- »Consider the research design used in your selected article. Ask yourself the following questions. Is the design appropriate for the study? Would a different design provide better results?
- »Throughout this course you will be developing a formal, evidence-based practice proposal.
- »As health care consumers, we all expect quality care and positive outcomes. It is important as professionals that we meet these demands of health care consumers
- »the pathophysiological mechanisms of chronic asthma and acute asthma exacerbation.
- »Explanation of Signing an Organ Donor Card
- »What are your plans for learning more about Excel and how will the information you learned about this software be of benefit in your future analysis of research data?
- »Explain the factors that affect the health of communities
- »Debate The Various Social Factors Associated With The Situation Of The "Underinsured." Respond To Two Other Classmates' Answers With Solid Reasoning And Support Your Opinions With Appropriate Reference Citations.
- »Case Study On Anemia Of Chronic Disease
- »Project - Annotated Bibliography
- »Describe immunity as related to the human body
- »compared at least two APRN board of nursing regulations in your state/region with those of at least one other state/region. Describe how they may differ. Be specific and provide examples
- »Theoretical Foundations For Nursing
- »Advocating For The Nursing Role
- »apply the concepts of epidemiology and nursing research to a communicable disease
- »Discussion Question: Coaching And Mentoring.
- »Clinical staff members are not washing their hands between patients. Employee attacks patients while under the influences of narcotics
- »Spiritual Needs Assessment And Reflection
- »Research a health care organization or network that spans several states with in the United States (United Healthcare, Vanguard, Banner Health, etc.). Assess the readiness of the health care organization or network you chose in regard to meeting the healt
- »Select one of the topics from Chapter 12 listed under Modern Influences on the Future of Religion and examine how modern religious traditions are dealing with these contemporary challenges. If you identify with a particular religious tradition, how has yo
- »Describe various risk factors or precursors to adolescent pregnancy. Research community and state resources devoted in adolescent pregnancy and describe at least two of these resources.
- »Epidemiology and Communicable Disease
- »Describe one internal and one external method for the dissemination of your EBP project results
- »Theory of Transpersonal Caring (Jean Watson) Student Presentation and Theory Critique
- »Advocating for the nursing role in program Design and implementation
- »Monitoring Tools for Compliance Plans
- »Project Milestone One Topic Selection And Rationale
Why Choose Us
- Confidentiality and Privacy
- 100% Original Work
- 24/7 Customer Support
- Unlimited Free Revisions
- Experienced Writers
- Real-time Communication
- Affordable Prices
- Deadline Guaranteed