Discussion: Searching DatabasesWhen you decide to purchase a new car, you first decide what is important to you. If mileage and dependability are the important factors, you will search for data focused more on these factors and less on color options and sound systems. The same holds true when searching for research evidence to guide your clinical inquiry and professional decisions. Developing a formula for an answerable, researchable question that addresses your need will make the search process much more effective. One such formula is the PICO(T) format. In this Discussion, you will transform a clinical inquiry into a searchable question in PICO(T) format, so you can search the electronic databases more effectively and efficiently. You will share this PICO(T) question and examine strategies you might use to increase the rigor and effectiveness of a database search on your PICO(T) question. To Prepare: · Review the materials offering guidance on using databases, performing keyword searches, and developing PICO(T) questions provided in the Resources. · Review the Resources for guidance and develop a PICO(T) question of interest to you for further study. Post your PICO(T) question, the search terms used, and the names of at least two databases used for your PICO(T) question. · Then, describe your search results in terms of the number of articles returned on original research and how this changed as you added search terms using your Boolean operators. · Finally, explain strategies you might make to increase the rigor and effectiveness of a database search on your PICO(T) question. Be specific and provide examples. · Citations must Match References. Resources Required Readings Melnyk, B. M., & Fineout-Overholt, E. (2018). Evidence-based practice in nursing & healthcare: A guide to best practice (4th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer. · Chapter 2, “Asking Compelling Clinical Questions” (pp. 33–54) · Chapter 3, “Finding Relevant Evidence to Answer Clinical Questions” (pp. 55–92) Davies, K. S. (2011). Formulating the evidence based practice question: A review of the frameworks for LIS professionals. Evidence Based Library and Information Practice, 6(2), 75–80. https://doi.org/10.18438/B8WS5N. Retrieved from https://ejournals.library.ualberta.ca/index.php/EBLIP/article/viewFile/9741/8144 Note: You will access this article from the Walden Library databases. Library of Congress. (n.d.). Search/browse help - Boolean operators and nesting. Retrieved September 19, 2018, from https://catalog.loc.gov/vwebv/ui/en_US/htdocs/help/searchBoolean.html Stillwell, S. B., Fineout-Overholt, E., Melnyk, B. M., & Williamson, K. M. (2010a). Evidence-based practice, step by step: Asking the clinical question: A key step in evidence-based practice. American Journal of Nursing, 110(3), 58–61. doi:10.1097/01.NAJ.0000368959.11129.79. Retrieved from https://journals.lww.com/ajnonline/Fulltext/2010/03000/Evidence_Based_Practice,_Step_by_Step__Asking_the.28.aspx Note: You will access this article from the Walden Library databases. Melnyk, B. M., Fineout-Overholt, E., Stillwell, S. B., & Williamson, K. M. (2009). Evidence-based practice: Step by step: Igniting a spirit of inquiry. American Journal of Nursing, 109(11), 49–52. doi:10.1097/01.NAJ.0000363354.53883.58. Retrieved from https://journals.lww.com/ajnonline/fulltext/2009/11000/Evidence_Based_Practice__Step_by_Step__Igniting_a.28.aspx Note: You will access this article from the Walden Library databases. Stillwell, S. B., Fineout-Overholt, E., Melnyk, B. M., & Williamson, K. M. (2010b). Evidence-based practice, step by step: Searching for the evidence. American Journal of Nursing, 110(5), 41–47. doi:10.1097/01.NAJ.0000372071.24134.7e. Retrieved from https://journals.lww.com/ajnonline/Fulltext/2010/05000/Evidence_Based_Practice,_Step_by_Step__Searching.24.aspx Note: You will access this article from the Walden Library databases. Walden University Library. (n.d.-a). Databases A-Z: Nursing. Retrieved September 6, 2019, from https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/az.php?s=19981 Walden University Library. (n.d.-b). Evidence-based practice research: CINAHL search help. Retrieved September 6, 2019, from https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/library/healthevidence/cinahlsearchhelp Walden University Library. (n.d.-c). Evidence-based practice research: Joanna Briggs Institute search help. Retrieved September 6, 2019, from https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/library/healthevidence/jbisearchhelp Walden University Library. (n.d.-d). Evidence-based practice research: MEDLINE search help. Retrieved September 6, 2019, from https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/library/healthevidence/medlinesearchhelp Walden University Library. (n.d.-g). Quick Answers: How do I find a systematic review article related to health, medicine, or nursing? Retrieved September 6, 2019, from https://academicanswers.waldenu.edu/faq/72670 Required Media
Discussion: Searching Databases is rated 4.8/5 based on 702 customer reviews.
Are you in need of homework help?
Place your order and get 100% original work.
- »developed your practicum professional development objectives. How have your experiences thus far in the practicum contributed to your growth as nurse leader-manager or nurse informaticist? What difficulties, if any, have you experienced, and how might thi
- »Health Promotion And Risk Reduction
- »Thesis Development
- »Elder Abuse and Neglect
- »Challenges That The Leaders Of Today's Health Care Organizations Face.
- »Identify at least five possible conditions that may be considered in a differential diagnosis for the patient.
- »Levy Family Episodes
- »Controlled Terminology And Standards
- »Discussion: Creating, Developing, And Leading Effective Teams
- »Quantitative research
- »Statistical Terms
- »Policy Implementation, Street-level Bureaucracy, and the Importance of Discretion.
- »Recognize the influence that developmental stages have on physical, psychosocial, cultural, and spiritual functioning
- »Reflect on strategies that you can pursue in developing portfolios or portfolio elements that focus on academic achievements.
- »Assignment: National Patient Safety Goals
- »A PICOT starts with a designated patient population in a particular
- »Research Proposal Draft
- »Safeguarding children professional responsibility and partnership working activity.
- »Psychiatric Assessment Of The Adult And Older Adult
- »Discuss The Difference Between A Positive Linear Relationship And A Negative Linear Relationship
- »write an analysis of one of Hamlet's soliquoys and craft two soliquoys of your own
- »Public Health Law And Policy
- »Case Study: Fetal Abnormality
- »Diabetes and Drug Treatments
- »Reviewing The Literature
- »Nursing Information Technology Management
- »Delivering Effective Presentations
- »Differential Diagnoses And Pediatrics
- »Off-Label Drug Use In Pediatrics
- »Clinical Case Decision Instructruction
Why Choose Us
- Confidentiality and Privacy
- 100% Original Work
- 24/7 Customer Support
- Unlimited Free Revisions
- Experienced Writers
- Real-time Communication
- Affordable Prices
- Deadline Guaranteed