Capstone Project Topic Selection and ApprovalAccording to the American Heart Association (2018), one third of the children and adolescents are affected by obesity in the United States. Going into the millennium, its prevalence had tripled so much so that it is regarded as the number one health concerns among parents today. In other parts of the world, the problem is rapidly growing, and it affects middle class and low-income countries alike. A research conducted by Karnik & Kanekar (2012) estimated that over 41 million children in Africa and Asia under the age of five were found to be obese. Of these, it has been estimated that over 116,000 die each year. Children with obesity have a higher risk of getting serious diseases like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, Diabetes type II, coronary heart disease, respiratory and stroke problems (Hales, Carroll, Fryar & Ogden, 2017). Additionally, most of them grow up with the condition, which results to more health issues that are psychological in nature, including low self-esteem, negative body image and sometimes depression. It is also true that excessive body weight is greatly associated with earlier risk of obesity-related induced disease and death in adulthood (Cunningham, Kramer & Narayan, 2014). The occurrence of obesity in the United states of American can be attributed to the availability of “good- tasting” food with high calorie. Furthermore, these foods are not expensive, yet their health effects are disastrous. This, accompanied with a lack of physical activity and inactive behavior results to childhood obesity. All these factors are imparted by family characteristics and environmental factors. For instance, if parents cultivate the culture of eating junk food at home from a young age, chances are that their child will become obese. Watching TV and other inactive activities should also be discouraged lest children become dormant. Advertisements that encourage the consumption of junk food also attracts children into poor eating habits. It is also important to note that genetic factors of the family can also contribute to child obesity (Ebbeling, Pawlak, & Ludwig, 2002) The impact of Child obesity goes beyond health-related issues as it can negatively impact the child’s social status. More often it brings anxiety, self- esteem and depression because obese children tend to be more vulnerable than the normal kids in school (Ludwig, 2018). It is also associated with eating disorders such as Bulimia Nervosa. All these affect the health of the child, its wellbeing and leads to poor performance because of the low quality of life the child is experiencing (Reilly, & Kelly, 2011). Clearly, so much needs to be done to address this issue. First, environmental change is inevitable, and perhaps the key and solution to obesity in children. Instead of having vending machines in schools that are full of 'junk' foods, parents and schools should opt for healthier food options, emphasize on physical activities and constantly remind kids about the effects of unhealthy eating habits. The government should set tighter rules and regulation on advertisements of fast-foods by limiting them. All said and done, obtaining and maintaining an appropriate body weight is extremely important and the best way to achieve this is by doing it gradually. Children and adolescents should measure their weight relative to their height using the Body Mass Index (BMI) (Ogden, Carroll, Kit, & Flegal, 2014). In conclusion, families and the health care professionals should understand that childhood obesity is a serious issue in the society today. We ought to know that there is no approved medication for childhood obesity in American, for fact, the American association of pediatrician deter the use of such medication to control the weight in children. The current efforts to help tame it cannot be disregarded, but more needs to be done. Its effects are long lasting, meaning that it is threatening the future of millions of children that can easily be avoided. All healthcare practitioners should therefore join hands and fight it with all available means such as educating parents on how to promote healthy lifestyle for a greater future (Bleich, Segal, Wilson, & Wang, 2013). Dami remember to include this in this paper: 1. The problem, issue, suggestion, initiative, or educational need that will be the focus of the project-you have well defined the issue and yes, some solutions but not YOUR solution-remember this is YOUR project-you need to define your problem and come up a solution to this problem that YOU are going to implement. 2. The setting or context in which the problem, issue, suggestion, initiative, or educational need can be observed-you need to give a specific setting-do you work in a school where you are noticing and increase in childhood obesity and you are going to tackle making the vending machines have more healthy choices?? You need to define your setting 3. A description providing a high level of detail regarding the problem, issue, suggestion, initiative, or educational need. 4. Impact of the problem, issue, suggestion, initiative, or educational need on the work environment, the quality of care provided by staff, and patient outcomes. 5. Significance of the problem, issue, suggestion, initiative, or educational need and its implications to nursing. 6. A proposed solution to the identified project topic-you need to be specific to what you are going to do for your proposed issue. References Bleich, S. N., Segal, J., Wu, Y., Wilson, R., & Wang, Y. (2013). Systematic review of community-based childhood obesity prevention studies. Pediatrics, 132(1), e201-e210. Cunningham, S. A., Kramer, M. R., & Narayan, K. V. (2014). Incidence of childhood obesity in the United States. New England Journal of Medicine, 370(5), 403-411. Ebbeling, C. B., Pawlak, D. B., & Ludwig, D. S. (2002). Childhood obesity: public-health crisis, common sense cure. The lancet, 360(9331), 473-482. Hales, C. M., Carroll, M. D., Fryar, C. D., & Ogden, C. L. (2017). Prevalence of obesity among adults and youth: United States, 2015-2016. US Department of Health and Human
Capstone Project Topic Selection and Approval is rated 4.8/5 based on 167 customer reviews.
Are you in need of homework help?
Place your order and get 100% original work.
- »Reflect on a pediatric patient who presented with an eye, ear, nose, or throat disorder during your Practicum experience
- »Physical and/or mental deficits that limit a person’s ability
- »Transforming Nursing And Healthcare Through Technology
- »Discussion: Health Data Standards
- »community characteristics portion of the community assessment
- »Art Appreciation
- »Religion In Sixteenth- And Seventeenth-Century European Art
- »Promoting Healthcare Quality
- »Analyze How Gender Is Created By Society, Specifically Looking At Children's Toys And/Or Clothing
- »Discussion - Nursing Interventions To Reduce Stressors
- »Unlicensed Assistive Personnel and the Registered Nurse
- »Research Mathematical Analysis
- »End-Of-Life Decisions
- »Describe three of the factors that you think drive up health care costs and (b) Explain what do you think an individual can do to have and impact on personal and overall health care cost?
- »Discussion Post
- »Nutrition Research Paper
- »report on an interview you have conducted with a health care professional. You will identify an issue from the interview that could be improved with an interdisciplinary approach, and review best practices and evidence to address the issue.
- »Investigating Pandemics And Epidemics
- »CHEMICAL DOSE
- »INTRODUCTION TO THE U.S. HEALTH CARE DELIVERY SYSTEM
- »Health Care Problem Analysis
- »Executive Summary assignment
- »Assignment: Global Healthcare Comparison Matrix and Narrative Statement.
- »Practicum Project Goals, Objectives, And Justification
- »Ethical and spiritual decision making in healthcare
- »Literature Review (Childhood Obesity)
- »What Do You Think Are Some Effective Tactics For APN Strategic Positioning Regarding Pay Equality? Should APNs Position Themselves As Lower-Cost Providers Who Provide Better Care Or Push For Comparable Worth, Same Service And Same Pay?
- »Components Of Healthcare
Why Choose Us
- Confidentiality and Privacy
- 100% Original Work
- 24/7 Customer Support
- Unlimited Free Revisions
- Experienced Writers
- Real-time Communication
- Affordable Prices
- Deadline Guaranteed