Poor Patient OutcomeRelying solely on the classic features of a disease may be misleading. That's because the clinical presentation of a disease often varies: the symptoms and signs of many conditions are non-specific initially and may require hours, days, or even months to develop. Generating a differential diagnosis; that is, developing a list of the possible conditions that might produce a patient's symptoms and signs — is an important part of clinical reasoning. It enables appropriate testing to rule out possibilities and confirm a final diagnosis. This case portrays a poor patient outcome after a misdiagnosis. Case scenario A previously healthy 35-year-old lawyer presents to a primary care office with a chief complaint of chest pain and a non-productive cough. The pain started suddenly 2 hours prior to coming to the office while the patient was sitting at his desk. The patient describes the pain as sharp in nature, constantly present but made worse with inspiration and movement, and with radiation to the base of the neck. His blood pressure in the right arm and other vital signs are normal. On physical examination the only findings of note are chest wall tenderness and a faint cardiac murmur. The ECG in the office is normal. The patient is observed for an hour in the office and assessed. He is diagnosed with viral pleurisy and sent home on non-steroidal analgesics. The following day the patient collapses at home and cannot be resuscitated by the paramedic service. An autopsy reveals a Type 1 aortic dissection with pericardial tamponade. Written Assignment: Developing a list of possible conditions that might produce a patient's symptoms and signs is an important part of clinical reasoning.
- As an NP in primary care what would you have done differently?
- Discuss the importance of creating a list of differentials for this patient. How could it have changed this outcome?
- Ask yourself; Have you considered the likelihood of it and whether it needs to be ruled out by testing or referral?
- Because many serious disorders are challenging to diagnose, have you considered ruling out the worst case scenario?
- Ask yourself: Do you have sufficient understanding of the clinical presentation to offer an opinion on the diagnosis?
- What other diagnosis could it be? How might the treatment to date have altered the patient outcome?
- What other diagnostic and laboratory or imaging was needed in order to make a complete differential list? What support tools would you consider using in helping to create a differential diagnosis list?
- Are you familiar with the current clinical practice guidelines for the investigation of a suspected condition such as chest pain?
Poor Patient Outcome is rated 4.8/5 based on 650 customer reviews.
Are you in need of homework help?
Place your order and get 100% original work.
- »Advanced Pharmacotherapeutics
- »Servant Leadership
- »Define the Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- »How A Bill Becomes A Law
- »Reflection Journal
- »Describe the pathophysiological mechanisms of chronic asthma and acute asthma exacerbation. Be sure to explain the changes in the arterial blood gas patterns during an exacerbation
- »Choose two terms from the Elements of Fiction lecture and apply them to "The Fall of the House of Usher."
- »Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine
- »Payment structures used in the health care industry
- »Development Of The Health Care System Of The German And Canadian French Heritage Culture .
- »SUSTAINABLE GOAL DEVELOPMENT PROJECT FACT SHEET Malaria
- »National initiatives driven by the American Nurses Association have determined nursing-quality outcome indicators that are intended to focus plans and programs to increase quality and safety in patient care
- »In this Discussion, you will identify a recently proposed health policy and share your analysis of the evidence in support of this policy.
- »As an advanced registered nurse, what will your role be in advocating for equitable population health services and policies? Do you anticipate any challenges or barriers to "population advocacy"?
- »In 250-300 words, explain the Christian perspective of the nature of spirituality and ethics in contrast to the perspective of postmodern relativism within health care.
- »Human Sexuality
- »Discussion Board Assignment
- »‘‘Allow Natural Death’’ versus ‘‘Do Not Resuscitate’’: What Do Patients with Advanced Cancer Choose?
- »Discussion: Interprofessional Collaborative Practice and Advanced Practice Nurses
- »EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE
- »Health Education And Health Promotion
- »People Of Mexican Heritage.
- »Leading Servant Organizations
- »Discuss transformational leadership and how it applies to a RN in the outpatient clinic
- »Apply the concepts of pharmacotherapeutics, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, and pharmacogenomics to the use of specific medication classifications in specific health conditions and in consideration of medication side/adverse effects, nursing implicati
- »Written Assignment - Stroke Concept Map
Why Choose Us
- Confidentiality and Privacy
- 100% Original Work
- 24/7 Customer Support
- Unlimited Free Revisions
- Experienced Writers
- Real-time Communication
- Affordable Prices
- Deadline Guaranteed