Discussion: Health Care PolicyIn this week’s media presentation, Dr. Trautman, Dr. Wakefield, and Ms. Coyle discuss how public policies initiated at the national or state level ultimately influence what occurs at the institutional and local level of nursing practice and health care delivery. Health care policy usually is developed to address health care cost, quality, or access, or a combination of the three. Due to the nature of their interaction with patients, nurses are well situated to be effective, knowledgeable advocates for their patients. In this week’s Discussion, you will examine how current policies impact how you as a nurse provide health care. You will then select an issue of interest and determine how you could advocate for policy in that area. To prepare: Select one public policy that currently is impacting you and your practice. Consider the following: What health care driver was the policy designed to address: cost, quality, access, or a combination? Does the policy appear to be achieving its intended results? On what data are you basing your assumption? What have been the effects (adverse or positive) of this policy on health care cost, quality, and access? How is this policy affecting your nursing practice? Next, select a health care issue—something you see or experience on a daily basis—about which you would like to influence a practice change through the policy process. Review the Learning Resources, focusing on Kingdon’s Model. How would you utilize this model to guide your policy development? Post a brief description of a public policy that is having an impact on your practice; summarize your analysis of the policy using the bulleted list above as a guide. Then, summarize the issue you would like to influence though a change in public policy, and outline how you would utilize Kingdon’s Model to guide your policy development. Required Readings Milstead, J. A. (2019). Health policy and politics: A nurse’s guide (6th ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers. Chapter 1, “Informing Public Policy: An Important Role for Registered Nurses” (pp. xvi -13) This chapter explains public policy and the nurse’s role in directing health care issues to the government and securing a response. Chapter 2, “Agenda Setting: What Rises to a Policymaker’s Attention” (pp. 16-34) This chapter provides examples of the process of moving a problem to the attention of the government so the solution can be considered at the state and federal levels. Chapter 3, “Government Response: Legislation” (pp. 36-54) This chapter explores the multiple factors that influence the development of public policy through the legislative branch of government.
Discussion: Health Care Policy is rated 4.8/5 based on 83 customer reviews.
Are you in need of homework help?
Place your order and get 100% original work.
- »Find An Article On A Societal Factor That Is Affecting Nursing/Patient Education Curriculum
- »Where in the World Is Evidence-Based Practice?
- »Problem With Payment Structures In Health Care Industry
- »Conflict Resolution
- »Pathophysiology Of Alzheimer Disease
- »make a recommendation to finance an EHR system
- »Research Article Appraisal
- »Cultural Diversity in the Health Care Workforce
- »Assessing And Treating Clients With Dementia
- »The Pathophysiology Of Disorders
- »Lab Assignment
- »Case Discussion: Pulmonary
- »Advocating For New Practice Approaches Through Policy
- »Systems Development Life Cycle: Nursing Informatics and Organizational Decision Making
- »Using Evidence-Based Practice To Improve Patient Care
- »A number of medical centers around the United States now offer "finders' fees" to physicians for referring patients to researchers who are conducting trials of new drug therapies, the side effects of which are not yet known
- »Describes how alignment between the values of an organization and the values of the nurse impact nurse engagement and patient outcomes
- »What are some steps the medical office administrator can take to record the completed transactions and address any outstanding problems? When are claim inquiries made?
- »Professionalism And Social Media
- »Qualitative Research Critique! Please use article - False Alarms and Overmonitoring : Major Factors in Alarm Fatigue Among Labor Nurses
- »Maternal Response
- »Describe immunity as related to the human body. Take care to cite the elements involved.
- »Discussion: Healthcare Information Technology Trends
- »Compare and discuss the information in the Bullying
- »Schizophrenia In Adults VS Children
- »Breast Cancer among African American Women in the United States
- »describe the teaching experience and discuss your observations
- »Nursing Discussion
- »The Totalitarian Model: A False Utopia
- »Based On The Scenario, Explain What Was Done Successfully And Where Improvement Was Needed In The Quality Improvement Process. Identify The Performance Improvement Tools, And Explain How They Contributed To The Outcome
Why Choose Us
- Confidentiality and Privacy
- 100% Original Work
- 24/7 Customer Support
- Unlimited Free Revisions
- Experienced Writers
- Real-time Communication
- Affordable Prices
- Deadline Guaranteed