DERMATOLOGY CASE STUDYChief complaint: “ My right great toe has been hurting for about 2 months and now it’s itchy, swollen and yellow. I can’t wear closed shoes and I was fine until I started going to the gym”. HPI: E.D a 38 -year-old Caucasian female presents to the clinic with complaint of pain, itching, inflammation, and “yellow” right great toe. She noticed that the toe was moderately itching after she took a shower at the gym. She did not pay much attention. About two weeks after the itching became intense and she applied Benadryl cream with only some relief. She continued going to the gym and noticed that the itching got worse and her toe nail started to change color. She also indicated that the toe got swollen, painful and turned completely yellow 2 weeks ago. She applied lotrimin AF cream and it did not help relief her symptoms. She has not tried other remedies. Denies associated symptoms of fever and chills. PMH: Diabetes Mellitus, type 2. Surgeries: None Allergies: Augmentin Medication: Metformin 500mg PO BID. Vaccination History: Immunization is up to date and she received her flu shot this year. Social history: College graduate married and no children. She drinks 1 glass of red wine every night with dinner. She is a former smoker and quit 6 years ago. Family history:Both parents are alive. Father has history of DM type 2, Tinea Pedis. mother alive and has history of atopic dermatitis, HTN. ROS: Constitutional: Negative for fever. Negative for chills. Respiratory: No Shortness of breath. No Orthopnea Cardiovascular: Regular rhythm. Skin: Right great toe swollen, itchy, painful and discolored. Psychiatric: No anxiety. No depression. Physical examination: Vital Signs Height: 5 feet 5 inches Weight: 140 pounds BMI: 31 obesity, BP 130/70 T 98.0, P 88 R 22, non-labored HEENT: Normocephalic/Atraumatic, Bilateral cataracts; PERRL, EOMI; No teeth loss seen. Gums no redness. NECK: Neck supple, no palpable masses, no lymphadenopathy, no thyroid enlargement. LUNGS: No Crackles. Lungs clear bilaterally. Equal breath sounds. Symmetrical respiration. No respiratory distress. HEART: Normal S1 with S2 during expiration. Pulses are 2+ in upper extremities. 1+ pitting edema ankle bilaterally. ABDOMEN: No abdominal distention. Nontender. Bowel sounds + x 4 quadrants. No organomegaly. Normal contour; No palpable masses. GENITOURINARY: No CVA tenderness bilaterally. GU exam deferred. MUSCULOSKELETAL: Slow gait but steady. No Kyphosis. SKIN: Right great toe with yellow-brown discoloration in the proximal nail plate. Marked periungual inflammation. + dryness. No pus. No neuro deficit. PSYCH: Normal affect. Cooperative. Labs: Hgb 13.2, Hct 38%, K+ 4.2, Na+138, Cholesterol 225, Triglycerides 187, HDL 37, LDL 190, TSH 3.7, glucose 98. Assessment: Primary Diagnosis: Proximal subungual onychomycosis Differential Diagnosis: Irritant Contact Dermatitis, Lichen Planus, Nail Psoriasis Special Lab: Fungal culture confirms fungal infection. As an NP student, you need to determine the medications for onychomycosis. 1. According to the AAFP/CDC Guidelines, what antifungal medication(s) should this patient be prescribed, and for how long? Write her complete prescriptions using the prescription writing format in your textbook. 2. What labs for baseline and follow up of therapy would you order for this patient? Give rationale. You need 1 initial post and 1 reply for this DB. Total of 2 posts supported by peer-reviewed references, and in APA 6th ed format.
DERMATOLOGY CASE STUDY is rated 4.8/5 based on 66 customer reviews.
Are you in need of homework help?
Place your order and get 100% original work.
- »Strategies For Academic Portfolios
- »The selection of a research design is guided by the study’s purpose and research questions and hypotheses, and the design then links the research questions and hypotheses to the data that will be collected
- »POWERPOINT PRESENTATION ON HISTOPLASMOSIS
- »The purpose of the Course Project is to give the student the opportunity to apply concepts in transcultural nursing by performing a transcultural nursing assessment
- »For MADAM-PROFESSOR
- »Fill Out The Template
- »The Connection Between Academic And Professional Integrity
- »Heart Failure Clinic Resourcing Plan
- »WORKPLACE VIOLENCE IN HEALTHCARE
- »Complete the Risk Control Self-Assessment Checklist for Nurse Practitioners
- »Assignment Description Physical Activity Resource Guide
- »discusses an ethical health promotion-related issue
- »Describe the molecular mechanism of the development of ketoacidosis
- »The Role Of Advanced Practice Nursing In Safe Prescribing
- »Reflective Journal on how the attached clinical scenario enhanced your understanding of important communication techniques and what would be incorporated into your individual communication style to improve the nurse-patient/family relationship.
- »It is necessary for an RN-BSN-prepared nurse to demonstrate an enhanced understanding of the pathophysiological processes of disease, the clinical manifestations and treatment protocols, and how they affect clients across the life span.
- »Find An Article On A Societal Factor That Is Affecting Nursing/Patient Education Curriculum
- »Where in the World Is Evidence-Based Practice?
- »Problem With Payment Structures In Health Care Industry
- »Conflict Resolution
- »Pathophysiology Of Alzheimer Disease
- »make a recommendation to finance an EHR system
- »Research Article Appraisal
- »Cultural Diversity in the Health Care Workforce
- »Assessing And Treating Clients With Dementia
- »The Pathophysiology Of Disorders
- »Lab Assignment
- »Case Discussion: Pulmonary
- »Advocating For New Practice Approaches Through Policy
- »Systems Development Life Cycle: Nursing Informatics and Organizational Decision Making
Why Choose Us
- Confidentiality and Privacy
- 100% Original Work
- 24/7 Customer Support
- Unlimited Free Revisions
- Experienced Writers
- Real-time Communication
- Affordable Prices
- Deadline Guaranteed